Thursday, May 10, 2012

Habits

What is a habit? (via dictonary.com
  • an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it hasbecome almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways beforecrossing the street.
  • customary practice or use: Daily bathing is an American habit.
  • particular practice, custom, or usage: the habit of shakinghands.
  • dominant or regular disposition or tendency; prevailingcharacter or quality: She has a habit of looking at the bright side ofthings.
  • addiction, especially to narcotics
So here are some habits that I have... 
  • I use the same coffee mug every morning.  It has a snowman on it. I am aware that it's almost summertime but it's just the right amount of coffee for me. 
  • Falling asleep with my laptop in my bed. (Whether I am listening to something or watching a movie... I always end up falling asleep.) 
  • Always wearing/carrying Chapstick (Carmex is my favorite!) 
  • Having a bedtime snack. (This needs to change. I am not a toddler anymore!) 
  • Always ordering water at a restaurant. (Soda is so expensive... I mean $2?) 
  • Sunday afternoon naps. (This I for sure do without even thinking about it.)
After looking at some habits that I have been developing I thought I would start to change them. What if I drank from a different mug? *Gasp! What if I went to bed a little hungry? I think I would enjoy my breakfast more. What if I occasionally ordered a soda while eating out? 
I am going to use baby steps and change one of my habits. 
NO BEDTIME SNACK ANYMORE! 
It takes about 30 days to break a habit. I know it won't be easy but the fact that I am doing something consistently without even thinking about it causes a little bit of an alarm. 
Time for change! 
Day 1 starts... tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment