Monday, June 3, 2013

Deny Yourself

God has really been hitting home an issue in my life and boy is it a tough one to tackle. I am sure everyone deals with this too... I mean no one is perfect. Selfishness. Yup, it's a tough one. Along with selfishness comes the need to be in control of everything. I think the longer I work for myself as a business owner the more control I seem to take over everything in life, even the little things. I have the, "I'll just do it myself because I know how I want it done"attitude.
Matthew 16:24-26
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? (NIV)

24-26 Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. “Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You’re not in the driver’s seat; I am. Don’t run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I’ll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for? (THE MESSAGE)

God is always working on us and making us into who He wants us to be. Submitting to God is the first step into allowing him to make us who He wants us to be. That is the first step in getting rid of selfishness and the need to control everything. Placing it into God's hands rather than my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment