Sunday, January 12, 2014

What does the Bible say about PRIDE?

My favorite thing to do when I hear a little nugget of truth is to go here and type in the subject. Recently it has been pride. OUCH. The nugget of truth that led to this was,
"The more you admit you can't do something, you stab pride and kill it."
I am someone who likes to control of what I do the majority of the time. I am not one to easily admit that I can't do something. I will work hard to figure it out on my own. I have a hard time delegating. I enjoy hearing a "good job" or "wow, what you did is great!" (I mean who doesn't like to hear that?) But all those compliments feed my pride when God is taken out of the equation. 
Proverbs 10:17
The road to life is a disciplined life;
    ignore correction and you’re lost for good.
Proverbs 11:2
When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom.
Proverbs 29:23
Pride lands you flat on your face; humility prepares you for honors.

The opposite of pride is humility. Humble yourself unto others and God. He will give you grace to wipe away the pride. The more I honor God with what I do and use my life for Him the less it becomes all about me. 

John 3:30 
He must increase and I must decrease. 
1 Peter 5:6
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you.
Luke 14:11
For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

1 comment: