Saturday, April 6, 2013

Adventures in Pinning: Quinoa Pizza Bites

I pinned this a while back and figured that it would be simple to make. I love quinoa, it's so filling and healthy for you too. I didn't have mozzarella cheese so I used pepper-jack. I didn't have pizza sauce so I used a can of diced tomatoes, added some herbs to it and stuck it in the magic bullet. I think people can really stress themselves out by having the perfect measurements and exact ingredients. 
I say, use what you have and have fun! 

Here's what I did:
Cooked the quinoa. (1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups of water. Bring to rollin' boil then set to simmer for about 12-15 minutes.) 

While it was cooking I...
diced 1/2 cup of white onion
minced 1 clove of fresh garlic
added 1 egg
grated 1/2 cup pepper-jack cheese
added couple shakes of dried oregano and basil
added a dash of salt 
added 1 drop of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Mix all of that together with the cooked quinoa. 
Spray a mini-muffin pan with olive oil and scoop it in. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
 Obviously, my first batch was a fail. They stuck really bad to the pan and fell apart when I took them out. 
It was tough to eat the first batch. They fell apart and were kind of dry. I added a little bit more EVOO and the second batch came out great! 
YAY for pinterest success! I let them cool a little longer in the pan before I took them out. They were still kind of dry but with the warm pizza sauce on them they were delicious! 

Cooking will always be a learning process for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment